You’re driving through a lovely neighborhood in the Twin Cities one day and you see a house that makes you stop and say “WOW!” The gorgeous home landscaping makes it stand out from every other property in the neighborhood and you find yourself feeling envious of this homeowner’s talent for design. You find yourself thinking, “I really wish my home had this much curb appeal.”
“Curb appeal” is an expression which refers to making the landscaping of a property look beautiful when viewed from the street. There are plenty of benefits to performing home landscaping renovation to improve your property’s curb appeal. Not only will it allow you to take pride in the beauty of your landscape and impress your friends and neighbors, it will also enhance the sale value of your home. Here are eight areas of your landscaping that you can focus on in order to improve your curb appeal:
Giving Your Home More Curb Appeal
- The Gardens – Everyone loves to look at beautiful flowers and shrubs, which is why gardens are the centerpiece of home landscaping. Sprucing up the garden beds in front of your home with a rainbow of well-chosen plants is one of the best ways to improve your property’s curb appeal. Try to plant a nice mixture of perennial shrubs, like dogwoods and arborvitae, and annual flowers, such as begonias and zinnias, so that your yard really pops in spring and summer but still looks pretty during the winter.
- The Patio – Your front patio forms the main entryway to your home, which is why it should be one of the main focuses of home landscaping renovation. If the materials used to build your front patio are weathered and cracked, it might be time to replace them with new bricks or pavers. Another way to add some pizzazz to your patio is to adorn it with a couple of container gardens that are filled with seasonal flowers. This will make the entry to your home look all the more inviting.
- The Steps – Speaking of your patio, the steps leading up to it are important, too. Your front steps are visible from the street and will be one of the first things that visitors see when they come to your door. Make sure your steps are built from visually appealing stone, and are not severely cracked or chipped.
- The Walkway – The path leading up to your front door is another way to make a great first impression. Whether your walkway is straight or winding, building it from evenly layered and well-sized pavers shows your careful attention to the details of home landscaping. If your current walkway has seen better days, try replacing it with new limestone or concrete pavers for better curb appeal.
- The Lawn – Who doesn’t appreciate a well-kept lawn? Keeping your grass green, neatly trimmed and free of weeds is one of the easiest methods to maximize on the curb appeal of your property. Spending a couple of hours per week with your lawnmower, watering once or twice per week and using weed killer when needed is all it takes to maintain a dense and healthy lawn.
- The Mailbox – Here’s one you might overlook; improving the appearance of your mailbox is a simple form of home landscaping renovation that can have a big payoff. If you have a bland store-bought mailbox, try spicing things up by painting it or purchasing a custom-made replacement. You can also plant flowers around your mailbox and vines climbing up the side for an enchanted look.
- Retaining Walls – Not every yard needs a retaining wall but if you have one, make sure it looks good. An uneven retaining wall that’s ugly in color can ruin an otherwise gorgeous landscape. If you’re up for some major home landscaping renovation, have your retaining walls replaced with prettier stone that will improve your property’s curb appeal rather than detracting from it.
- Water Features – Throwing in a splash of water is one of the best ways to enhance your home landscaping. Place a beautiful fountain in the center of your garden or beside your patio to draw the eyes of whoever passes by. If your yard is flat enough, you can even install a pond in front of your house. Go the extra mile by stocking that pond with beautiful koi and water lilies.
Landscaping For Maximum Curb Appeal
If you want help improving upon the curb appeal of your home landscaping, let Ground One’s award-winning landscaping team lend a hand. Get in touch with Ground One today for curb appeal improvement landscaping services in the greater Twin Cities area!